The American School of Naturopathy was founded by Dr. Lust in New York and graduated its first class in 1902. Naturopathic practitioners formed the Naturopathic Society of America and established naturopathic colleges and large health centres throughout North America. By 1920, naturopathic practice was well established in Canada. Laws regulating naturopathic practice were enacted in Ontario by 1925, British Columbia in 1936, Manitoba in 1943 and Saskatchewan in 1952. The Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors (CAND) has been representing the profession’s interests in Canada since 1955.
After the Second World War the more traditional healing practices lost ground as the world placed its trust in advancing surgical techniques, the introduction of antibiotics and the growth of the pharmaceutical industry. This was an era of scientific reductionism and an almost blind faith in the medical “miracle”. This approach continued through the 1950s.
In the last twenty years, public desire for greater control in the health care process and a growing dissatisfaction with high tech solutions to health problems, has resulted in a resurgent interest in the natural methods of preventive health care. This trend has increased demand for naturopathic services as people seek ways to improve their health, cope with day-to-day stresses and avoid illness.